Volunteer Museum Guides/Stewards
Location: Main Gallery, Museum of Bath Stone
Volunteers required: 5 – 20 individuals
Availability: Fridays or Saturdays
Volunteering commitment: 3 hours per week, fortnight, or month (mornings or afternoons)
We’re looking for brilliant communicators to bring our story to life. You’ll be responsible for supporting the delivery of an exceptional visitor experience for local, national and international visitors, looking to uncover Bath’s industrial past.
Your role is to help visitors discover the secrets of bath stone, the lost underground world of the Combe Down Stone Mines, and the importance of Bath Stone in the building of a UNESCO World Heritage Site.
You’ll be on hand and stationed within the Main Gallery, surrounded by vibrant, immersive and informative displays; with access to limitless resources to continue building your knowledge, and help to answer the wonderful array of questions we receive from our wonderful array of visitors!
You’ll be helping our youngest visitors to discover the secret horseshoe bats hiding around the museum and, helping SEND families to enjoy our museum at their own pace, with the museum’s new sensory backpacks. As a Museum Guide, we’ll teach you how to operate a polarising microscope, to share the beauty and variety of local bath stone at a microscopic level. And much, much more…
- Can you bring a lost world to life?
- Do you hold a passion for Bath’s industrial heritage?
- Would you like to learn about the city’s unique Archaeology, Ecology, Geology & Engineering?
- Do you love meeting new people?
- Can you support our visitors to explore the museum and make the most of our collections & activities?
- Would you like to play a key role in the delivery of a world-class visitor experience, within a UNESCO World Heritage Site?
- Do you take a compassionate approach towards the needs of others?
- No previous experience is necessary
- All training will be provided
- Full support is available throughout your time with us
- Minimum age 18 (no upper age limit)
- Volunteer as little as 3 hours a month
- Volunteer Fridays, Saturdays, or a combination of both
- Applications from individuals with accessibility requirements are warmly encouraged and welcomed
For further information on the museum’s accessibility, please view our Accessibility Guide
For accessibility enquiries, please contact Miranda Litchfield (email@example.com) who will be delighted to assist you.
How to apply:
To apply, please download and complete our Volunteering Application Form and, return this to the museum either by post, or by emailing firstname.lastname@example.org.
Large Print and other alternative formats can be provided upon request. Please use the Contact Form on our website to request an alternative format.
We can also provide printed copies for collection. Please get in touch if we can help.