Please note this project has officially drawn to a close. Please let us know via our Contact Form if you are interested in participating in future projects and, visit the Projects page of our website to explore some of the current and future projects available at the Museum of Bath Stone.
Please click here to be redirected to the Digital Preservation in Small Museums Case Study, an additional outcome of this South West Museum Development funded project.
Bath’s Underground History Unlocked
A Community Digitisation Project
Project duration: November 2022 – January 2023
Project title: Bath’s Underground History Unlocked: A Community Digitisation Project
Volunteers required: 20 individuals from Combe Down and Fox Hill
Volunteer commitment: 10 hours (approximately)
Would you like to discover the underground landscape beneath the surface of UNESCO World Heritage Site?
Would you like to be the first to see rare footage documenting an integral piece of Bath’s history?
Would you like to gain valuable experience within a heritage setting?
- No experience necessary
- Minimum age 14 (no upper age limit)
- Approximately 10 hours commitment
- Project begins November 2022 and finishes January 2023
- Volunteer from home, at the museum or a combination of both
- All training provided
- Full support provided throughout
- Opportunity to make a valuable contribution to the Museum of Bath Stone
- Opportunity to have your observations preserved in perpetuity
To register, email the museum’s team on firstname.lastname@example.org with your:
- Full name
- Telephone number
- Email address
- Training session date preference: 2nd November, 9th November or virtual
- Any accessibility requirements you have
Registration for the project closes at midnight, Monday 24th October 2022.
Volunteers will receive a confirmation email of their place on the project and residents applying from the Combe Down and Fox Hill communities will automatically receive priority. Please contact us if you have not received your confirmation email within 7 days.
November 2022: Welcome and Introduction (two hours)
Volunteers will need to choose from 1 of the 3 from the following options:
- Wednesday 2nd November 7:00pm – 9:00pm, Museum of Bath Stone. Light refreshments provided.
- Wednesday 9th November 7:00pm – 9:00pm, Museum of Bath Stone. Light refreshments provided.
- Virtual training session (complete from home anytime during November)
Each volunteer will be able to decide when and where they wish to complete their assignments, either working at the museum during office hours or from home at their leisure, supported by the Collections Manager.
January 2023: Project Debrief and Celebration (two hours)
The Project Debrief and Celebration will be an event held exclusively for Project Volunteers. Details to be announced in December 2022.
Further and additional volunteering opportunities will become available following the project’s completion, however – there is no commitment or expectation for volunteers to continue.
Click the links below to download the Volunteer Role Description for this project Bath’s Underground History Unlocked:
For further information on accessibility or accessibility enquiries, please get in touch with Miranda Litchfield (email@example.com) who wherever possible, will make the adjustments necessary for you to participate in the project.